Round One Review

Round One Review

ROUND ONE DONE AND DUSTED

Round 1 is over and we are back in full swing! The start of the season is always a busy time with many tasks to get sorted; including organising player gear and registration for our six teams, as well as getting the oval and pavilion back in order for the football season. We’d like to thank Graham Sullivan, our great Wesley curator, for doing all he can between now and Easter to get our ground in top condition.

Unfortunately, we cannot be in two places at once, so with three Men’s teams playing at St Kevin’s (don’t get me started on the VAFA fixturing us at St Kevin’s round 1 to watch them unfurl their flag!) and the Women on the Front Turf at Wesley St Kilda Rd creating history as the first women’s games on the ground in 150 years, the decision was pretty easy to go and watch the favourite daughter win on the Front Turf. Our new Under 19 players also played at Wesley, and it was great to see them get over the line in their first game for the club.

This Saturday, we are set for another big round on the Front Turf at Wesley, with the Men’s Thirds, Development and Seniors all playing there. It’s very exciting times to be playing on the hallowed Front Turf and we must thank all involved at Wesley College for allowing us to use the ground while the Trott is getting back to condition. I know the boys are really excited to be playing on the ground just as the girls were last week.

We will be running the BBQ at the Front Turf as well as after match drinks in the Cato Room following the game against Old Melburnians.

Get there to support the players and see history, as it has been a long, long time since a Collegians men’s side played for points on our hallowed Front Turf.

See you at the footy, Rocket.

Co-President

Rodney Nancarrow

MILESTONE – 200TH GAME

This Saturday our very own Julian Hampton plays his 200th game for the club. A long and great servant of the club, Julian has been a terrific footballer who, without, the club would not be the same, turning up week after week. We’d like to thank Julian for all his service thus far and for the years to come. Get down to the Development Men’s side on Saturday at 11:40am to cheer him on!

ROUND ONE REVIEW

Men’s Seniors:

The boys opened their 2019 season with a big clash against last year’s Premiers and arch rivals St Kevin’s Old Boys.  We started the first quarter well, with young Sam Sofrinidis taking it up to Anthony Lynch in the ruck and our midfielders Michie, Hylton, Hibbins and Harper getting plenty of the footy early in the piece.  St Kevin’s kicked the first one but we replied through big Willy Johnson and, when debutant Nik Papadoloulos slotted his first after a nice pass from Viv, we had edged ahead in a tight contest.  St Kevin’s got a late one which hurt but we held a slender 3-point advantage at the first break. 

Through the second quarter St Kevin’s started to get on top, with their midfield led by Nick Wood and Jack Holden lifting around the contest.  Boom recruit Jarrad Waite marked strongly and goaled, so they were soon out to a two-goal lead.  We worked hard to hold them and then Al Fahie got a 50metre penalty right on the siren to reduce the margin back to 6 points at the main break. 

Still well and truly in the contest the boys hit the field confident we could give this a real shake after half time but that was quickly snuffed out as the St Kevin’s machine kicked into overdrive and slammed on the next five goals to build a match winning 6 goal lead midway through the third quarter.  The boys battled hard and traded goals late in the third term through Hylton, Sullivan and Papadopoulos but the margin was 37 points at the final change. 

St Kevin’s continued to have the better of the contest in the last quarter adding another four goals to our two, ending up running out convincing 51-point winners.  They look to have come back as good as ever and are clearly the side to beat in 2019.  Some real positives for us with Nik Papadopoulos kicking three goals in his first game for the club, young Cam Ensor showing he can become a consistent senior player this season down back and the work of Michie and Hylton simply inspirational at times.  Plenty of players to return to the side in the coming weeks so nothing to panic about and we look forward to getting back on the winners list this weekend against Old Melburnians.

- Nicholas Roach

Women’s Seniors:

Our two Women’s sides kicked off season 2019 for the first time in over 150 years at our own Wesley College on the Front Turf. We came up against Old Camberwell who we had only played two weeks previously in a practice match out at Glen Waverley, where the scores were tight. We knew we were in for a hard-fought contest and certainly applied the pressure early in the game. Despite leading all day, Old Camberwell came hard in the second and third quarters, playing tough football. To our credit, we matched them and didn’t allow them to take the ascendancy. We finished the game stronger, kicking goals in the last quarter, to run out 24-point winners. Notable performances for the day were Rachel Rodgers and Alyssa Binns on the half back line, propelling the ball forward all day, Christine Keeley with an incredible second half performance in the ruck and Rebecca Rothfield marking everything that came her way. A great performance, with plenty of positives to take out for the remainder of the year.

- Mark Hibbins

Men’s Development:

2018 was a promising year for the development team as we made it to the preliminary final. However, in 2019 the slate was wiped clean: new season, new faces, new opposition. St Kevin’s looked unrecognisable to their 2018 side as we met them at TH King reserve in round 1 of the new season. 

Our side featured some regulars although we gave opportunities to some new faces. Dan Orgill joined us from Wesley College and, along with Lachie Morrey, Hugo Ling, James Christie and Andrew Scott, provided some excitement to our group in the pre-game. Also, club Captain Kalem Post played his first game in over 600 days as he returned from an ACL injury and he gave us the highlight of the day.  He laid a huge tackle inside forward 50 resulting in his set-shot goal and the entire playing group got around him.

Our work in the contest was desperate, however we got taught a football lesson. St Kevin’s burnt us with their skill, pace and work ethic giving a clear indication of the benchmark for this season. We got comprehensively beaten. Dan Orgill is a player of the future. He is still only in Year 12  and looked more than comfortable playing against men. In a losing side he was one of the best players on the park.

You can’t question the desire of this group as we fought back in the last quarter kicking the last two goals of the game. Our tackling and our hunger for the contest lasted the full 100 minutes, but we have work to do. The players and coaching staff know it and we can’t wait to get to work on Tuesday.

- Josh Kamener

Women’s Development:

In the first game of the year we came up against Old Camberwell. The first half was mainly played between the arches as both teams struggled to get past the half forward line. Our half backline led by Hastings and Feferkranz were outstanding in repelling Old Camberwell’s attacks forward. Old Camberwell did manage to make use of their forward entries when they did get past our half backline, as they kicked two goals in the first half.

In the third quarter we managed to take control of the game with Moss and Omond taking over in the midfield. Eventually we got it quickly into our forward line where Robertson was able to use our pace to kick our first goal of the season. The last quarter was a tough contest as both teams didn’t give an inch and led to numerous ball ups. Unfortunately, we were unable to score in the last quarter as we went down by 5 points.       

- Paul Tyson

Men’s Thirds:

The thirds went to TH King reserve to play St Kevin’s who were last year’s premiers.

The first quarter was an even contest as we fought for every possession which made St Kevin’s make errors because of our pressure and ability to win the ball; a theme we continued on throughout the game. Turn overs and not realising how much time and space we had when we were in possession of the footy, cost us in the first half and they opened a six-goal advantage at halftime.

The third quarter was our best as we got to within 10 points at one stage but, the hot conditions, fatigue and injuries took their toll and St Kevin’s steadied and used the ball well to get over the top of us by 7 goals.

A great effort by everyone who played, especially Pugh with 4 goals, Porz very good down back and Urry and Raymer in the ruck. We now look forward to next week

- Paul McGowan

Men’s Under 19s: 

After a long pre-season and recruitment process, we finally got to roll out our new look under 19 team. No better way than playing on the Front Turf at the St Kilda Road campus against Old Haileybury, who have been the dominant school side in the APS for the past few years.

The game was filled with clangers which is to be expected in round 1 and, after missing the opportunity for a practice match the week before, we looked scratchy. We kicked poorly in front of goals and finished with 14 behinds. The lead changed five times in the last quarter but we finally finished ahead of the ledger with a sensational goal from Jack Wilson. It was a hard-fought win but well deserved after all the hard work over pre-season. 

We will definitely be better for the game and will need to be as we come up against St Bedes this weekend, who are always strong.

Thank you to Matt Warren and Adam Celik for their help. Both are unfortunately out with knee injuries but are helping on game day. Michael Dockery helped as the runner but we are looking for a runner for the side if anyone wants to get involved. Thanks to Mark Lewis, Rob Fergurson and Kalem Post for behind the scenes help with recruitment. We have put together a great group of young men.

Alan Tyson and Rod Nancarow spent hours on Friday chasing down transfers and registrations to allow us to get a side on the track. Thank you to both.

We have a few players from outside the school who have joined the club. James Highland from Sydney dominated in the ruck and air all day and was best on field. Joe Barnes, who is at school at APSC, was great across halfback. Keep an eye out for these two in future successes of the club. Newly appointed skipper Tom Conron finished with five majors and VC Finn Heally was great in defence. He and Tim Van Twest held us together in the last quarter when we were out on our legs on the spongy front turf.

Thank you to Will Mayhood and Fraser Rossman from the school who had a hit out with us. Good luck with the school and TAC Cup season boys.

We only have two playing from last year’s group and are seeing the next crop of future Collegians players here. It is great to be helping them learn and any help would be appreciated.

- Andrew Kenneally

HELP WANTED WITH THE FAMOUS COLLEGIANS BBQ

We are still looking for volunteers for the BBQ we have at each of the home games. We are desperate to build a big roster so that these things don’t fall to too few. Whether you can assist with one, two or all BBQs, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you can help out.

The first BBQ is this Saturday at Wesley St Kilda Rd campus.

DO YOU WANT TO HELP WITH THE FUTURE OF COLLEGIANS?

Assistance needed for Under 19s:

The Under 19s are looking for a Team Manager and a runner to assist on game day. There are only 15 games in the season. Don't need to attend training.

Please contact Coach Andrew Kenneally (0499 490 580) if you can help for all or some of the games.

ROUND 2 FIXTURE

Men's Seniors vs. Old Melburnians 
Wesley College, Front Turf - 2:00PM 

Men's Development vs. Old Melburnians
Wesley College, Front Turf - 11:40AM 

Women's Seniors vs. Monash Blues 
Harry Trott Oval – 1:15pm 

Women's Development vs. Monash Blues
Harry Trott Oval – 11:15am 

Men's Thirds vs. Old Melburnians
Wesley College, Front Turf – 9:20am

Men's Under 19s vs. St Bedes Mentone
Albert Park Oval 1 – 2:30pm

Facebook Feed