Round Fourteen Review

Round Fourteen Review

Image

Dear [[Firstname]],

FOURTH SPOT SECURED – FOR NOW!

A terrific game of VAFA Senior Men’s footy was witnessed at Elsternwick Park on Saturday afternoon. The standard was high, and it was great to secure the 4 points to move a game clear in fourth spot on the ladder. Our boys played very well, and the pressure was on all day as OMs are a very good side. Their top-end talent is right up there with the best in the competition.

We got out to a six-goal lead mid-way through the third quarter, but OMs hit back hard late in the third quarter to bring the margin back to 10 points. It was game on in the final quarter.

Some very good pieces of play resulted in goals just when we needed them. Whilst we were always in front, it wasn’t without a few worries in the last quarter. However, the boys did us proud to hold on for a very important win. It was nice to be at Elsternwick Park in really good conditions for a change and not have a howling wind affecting the game.

We play Uni Blues and Xavs (top 2 sides) in two of the last four games so our finals might start a bit earlier than others; but there is no reason why we cannot beat these sides as our best is as good as any.

The Development boys had their work cut out playing the top side OMs, but they battled hard all day and never gave up.

The Under 19s welcomed back a few players and thought they might be a chance. However, the top sides in this Division are very good with the standard is high, which shows us where we need to get to for next year. It was great to have Warren, Jackson, Sund, Van Twest and Damico all playing in the Unders this week. We also wish Ollie Jackson a safe trip overseas and look forward to welcoming him back bigger and better in season 2020.

The Thirds ventured out to Princess Park to play Uni Blues and, after a good start, couldn’t stay with Uni as we had no bench. This is why we will continue to work on our depth for next year so we can put a full side on the park each week. Thanks to Paul Tyson for coaching the side while Paul McGowan is away.

Huge game this week against Uni Blues at the Trott with Trent Zimbachs playing his 250th and Sam Cutts playing his 200th and Sam Hibbins playing his 150th game. On top of this, we also have Harrison Butterss and Eddie Rice both playing 100 games.

This is once again covered on RSN Carnival Radio and which feature a piece on Trent Zimbachs as well as his parents. If you can't get to the ground, make sure you tune in via the RSN App.

These boys have been massive for our football club and deserve all the recognition they can get this week. Good luck boys on your milestone games. All 5 are true Collegians in every sense of the word.

See you at the footy,

Rocket & Hibbo

Image

TRENT ZIMBACHS 250TH POST GAME FUNCTION

We are having a function in the rooms post-game this Saturday to celebrate Trent Zimbach’s 250th game. Speeches will kick off around 5.30pm and finger food will also be available.  $15 per head, come down and have a chat and a beer with Zimma post-match and help him celebrate 250 great games for Collegians.

PRESIDENTS RAFFLE

We are also kicking off the PRESIDENTS RAFFLE on Saturday night. This will be a great opportunity to get an early ticket and get a low number. Additionally, anyone who purchases a president's raffle ticket on Saturday night will be given a GIFT as an early bird special. If you wish to purchase your raffle ticket online, follow the link below.

Trent Zimbachs – 250 Games

All at Collegians congratulate Trent Zimbachs on playing his 250th game this Saturday against University Blues.   Trent joined the club straight from the school in 2005 and was an integral part of our U19 Division one Grand Final side that first year.  After another year in the U19s, Trent debuted in the Senior Team in Round 1 2007 and went on to play every game in his first senior season.  He continued to improve over the next few seasons becoming one of the best small defenders in the competition and was an integral part of our back to back premierships in 2011 and 2012.  Trent took over as captain of the Senior Team in 2014 and, as captain, took us to Grand Finals in 2014 and 2017.  All in all, Trent played in six Premier Division Grand Finals over the past nine years, an incredible achievement.  Trent has also represented the Big V on nine occasions including seven at Senior Level and two at U23 level, only tasting defeat once during this time.  Quick, very good one-on-one and a great ball user out of the back half, Trent has, without doubt, been one of the club’s greatest players of the modern era and we look forward to celebrating this great achievement with Trent on Saturday at the Trott.

Sam Cutts – 200 Games

All at Collegians congratulate Sammy Cutts on playing his 200th game this Saturday against University Blues.  Sam is a 2nd generation player who joined the footy club straight from the school in 2008 and after graduating through our U19 program has become a permanent fixture in our Development side over the past 10 years including being a big part of our finals campaigns in 2012, 2015 and 2018.  Short in stature but quick and highly skilled around the goals the “Tip Rat”, as he has become affectionately known, was our leading goal kicker in 2015 and 2016 and has kicked more than 200 goals for the club.  A fantastic clubman who has always contributed in all areas of the club we look forward to watching Sammy play many more games for the club in future years.

Sam Hibbins – 150 Games

All at Collegians congratulate Sam Hibbins on playing his 150th game this Saturday against University Blues.  Sam comes from arguably the most famous Collegians family and was always destined to have a great career with the purple and gold.  He came to the club in 2012 where he won the competition goal kicking in a premiership year.  He debuted in the seniors in his first year as well but became a permanent fixture in the Senior side in 2014 and was part of our A Grade Grand Final team that year in the midfield.  He took his footy to a new level in 2015 where he won the senior club Best and Fairest, an award he won for a second time in 2017.  Over the past few years Sam has become one of the best midfielders in the competition and has been a huge part of our side that has made the past two Premier Division Grand Finals as well as becoming the Vice-Captain of the side.  He has also represented the Big V at senior level over the past few seasons. A prolific ball winner who is also great overhead, Sam is your classic modern-day midfielder standing at 6 foot 2 with the ability to play all over the ground.  We look forward to many more great seasons to come from Sam.

Collegians Golf Day

With under two weeks now until the golf day, we need to finalise numbers. Please email or call Michael Dockery on 0433 400 485 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to book in. The day will be on Friday the 16th of August, to be played down at the Woodlands Golf Club. With the format yet to be confirmed, it will be an 8:30am start, ARRIVE 7:30AM with the Woodlands Golf Club providing breakfast, your round and a BBQ with drinks to follow. As always, there will be prizes for whoever finishes first, second, third, nearest to the pin and longest drive. This year we are offering a great discount if you book as a group of four instead of individually. Make sure to book now to secure your spot on the first tee!

Image

GO LIONS!

Image

Facebook Chatter

Collegians Football Club 

Facebook Feed